Teacher with M.Ed. available
Welcome to Total ESL – Total ESL is the resource for ESL TEFL TESOL teaching jobs and Teacher Training Courses as well as ESL teacher resumes, ESL schools, ESL private tutors, blogs, resources, lesson plans, articles and more! Welcome, enjoy your visit and best of luck teaching English abroad
Teacher with M.Ed. available
To whom it may concern,
Hello, my name is Julie Johnson, I completed my M.Ed in TESOL at the University of North Florida. My studies included 18 credit hours of TESOL coursework along with a three-credit TESOL internship. My undergraduate studies at the University of Washington include 30 credit hours of Arabic courses in a language immersion program and 5 credit hours of linguistic focused coursework.
Teaching abroad and serving the immigrant and refugee community is the driving force behind my decision to pursue a career as an ESOL educator. My experiences in Kyrgyzstan and Costa Rica as an EFL teacher has made me effective in creating curriculum and designing lessons for speakers of other languages in both university and K-12 settings. Serving the refugee community as an English language teacher in K-12 and adult settings not only honed my skills as an ESOL educator, but also emboldened my interest in refugee advocacy and gave me the opportunity to develop service learning projects with local schools. My recent experiences include:
- Instructor, program consultant, and curriculum developer at Southside Baptist Church’s adult ESOL program.
- Presenter at multiple TESOL conferences, including grammar and linguistic focused workshops for ESOL educators.
- Guest lecturer to undergraduate pre-service teachers at UNF on common grammar challenges ESOL students encounter.
- Lead ELA and STEM teacher for community enrichment programs serving the refugee and immigrant population.
- Substitute teacher in diverse K-12 settings, including ESOL and ESE populations.
- Online course developer for undergraduate ESOL courses focused on grammar and linguistics.
During my graduate studies I have directed my coursework and service learning to strengthen my knowledge and experience in the areas of grammar and linguistics. Based on my research and first hand experiences I believe this is an area that many ESOL educators lack in depth and breadth of knowledge. With my combined professional, personal and academic experiences I am confident that I will be able to contribute to this area of education which has serious implications related to both ESOL students and educators.
I want to give back to the community as an educator by providing students with a safe and inclusive learning environment and giving them the tools they need to reach their goals. My personal experiences and training have equipped me with the expertise needed to prepare students with the know-how to create equitable learning opportunities and engage diverse learners in the classroom. Thank you for your consideration.